Monday, November 4, 2013

Unorthodox? Debra Feldman...Divine PROVIDENCE ?

Last night working on texts, and viewing reading material I happened to stumble across some very interesting books about women who have come out of the Hasidic community. I haven't really done much research in this area. I just take the Hasidic community as a matter of fact. Many are very dedicated to the study of Torah within the Hasidic group. I have always found them very fascinating. Well I got to googling up some video's and came upon one of Debra Feldman being interviewed by Barbara Walters on the view. Her story was a desire for education. She had a great desire to better herself. They began to show things that go on within the Hasidic community. Some made comments such as....some of these people have never watched tv or a movie. We aren't shocked by it. We stopped watching tv at home both of us before we were married. It is a time stealer. If you want to view the news you can watch it on the internet. I am not a legalist and don't condemn others who do sit there for hours on end but I know my house would be ten times dirtier if I had tv on. Then it went on to say how many children most of them had etc. So what they do other things besides watch tv. It is kind of nice to see families not thinking children are a burden in the world. Must be great to not have to preach against abortion or have the prochoice in one corner and pro life in another. It seemed a picking apart. Just because you don't share a certain culture it is such a wrong thing to judge them by your own cultures standards. These are people trying to obey the Laws of God. One of the Rabbi's while being interview shared that their moral code is much like the morality of the 1950's American values. So if they are happy living as such I say...live and let live. It is not the business of American women to try to change the value of a culture. I do not condone the abuse of anyone but to say that not watching tv is abuse is hardly a reason to have a sit in. In fact it is refreshing to see a group of people trying not to be corrupted by societies ills. They so reminded me of the Amish culture on the movie staring Tim Allen, " For Richer or Poorer." Here was a man and women fully in debt and involved in building barns and bigger barns...then one day the IRS said," You soul will be required of you." I am not a movie buff and I have to admit it was a VCR tape and I only saw it last week. I am sure it came out in the 1990's or so. I just don't care for tv or movies. I was told about it and since my husband used to manage an Amish Restaurant years ago it perked my interest. He still bakes great pies but they burned him out..lol... He would rather I bake the pies. It just might be we can learn some things from these cultures. We may not take it to the depth many of them who are so passionate about it do but some change is good for us. Possibly, we could learn to live less off of
Wal-Mart's staples,  and be more reliant on God's good earth. So yes, I do talk about God. One commentator on a particular blog told the writer not to ruin the blog, by mentioning the name of God. His opinion however does not deter me. I write what I want to write. The constitution itself gives me freedom of speech. In the words of that hilarious band on the tv show," Duck Dynasty", 'It you don't like it don't watch.' In my case it is, if you don't like it don't read my blog." That's a fact Jack!"
   Anyway, getting back to the book. I went to Amazon and looked for Debra Feldman's book called, Unorthodox. I clicked on it and put it on my wish list to run it by Bruce in the morning. Not that things are so tight here I need an okay. We just have so many books in our house and I needed to be sure he had not already purchased it. That was my last chore for the evening before retiring for bed. I had a class this am in Lafayette. My son Joseph came along as he was out of school today due to a teachers training session. When we returned this afternoon on my desk sat Debra's book. I cannot believe my eyes. Dr. Klein had picked it up at a book sale last week before I even found such a book on Amazon. I say it is providence that I read this book. I began to read it before I blogged this evening.
  I am not going to judge Debra or her situation or the whys or how's of her personal choices. I am however going to sit down and read her book as I feel it is providence. I cannot say I recommend it yet but education is always recommended. The Apostle Paul instructed Timothy in 2 Timothy 2:15 divine words when he said, 


2Tim 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

I have taken this as a personal command in my life as well. My own sweet husband is such a good example of this. We encourage each other to study the Bible. Two definitely are better than one.

Shalom,
Dana D'Artez Klein







No comments:

Post a Comment